Shoulda Said

Thursday, December 11, 2003

The Golden Rule

Hey America, what ever happened to treating others the way you'd like to be treated? I remember getting that hammered into my head at a young age, and for very good reason: it's fucking dead on. You can't be a total asshole to someone and expect them to love you from the deepest part of their being. I've really noticed this a lot lately, during this season which should be all about caring and giving and other -ing verbs that have happy connotations. A few examples:
- our neighbor made our cleaning lady move her car to the end of our street while she was loading up her supplies because they were in his extra parking spot, even though he only has one car
- my sister snapped, for no apparent reason, and yelled at a clerk at K-Mart because the credit card scanner didn't say credit, just debit
- I was honked at and flipped off by someone just so they could speed up to a red light and glare at me
- my boss belittled a custodian in front of a large group of parents to the point where the custodian does not want to work on the day of her impending wedding
- pretty much everything the Republican party does

I don't believe in karma, but if that's the way things really are, there are a lot of people in this country who are going to have a rough time in the afterlife.

4 Comments:

  • I was just talking about this very thing yesterday with a couple of my co-workers. I have to deal with lots of grumpy people on the phone, and I have found that generally, if you want something done, it's best to be polite and friendly about it. If you're gonna call me up and yell at me when I haven't done anything to deserve it, I'm gonna be waaaaay less excited and concerned about your situation than if you call me and nicely ask for help.
    And I feel you about the whole crazy driver thing too. I had a guy pass me on the right... on the SHOULDER of the road because apparently I wasn't RIGHT on the bumper of the person in front of me. And the left lane... well...that's just for looks.
    12/11/2003 10:26:52 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM  

  • I want a geese that lays golden rules for Easter.

    Don't care how, I want it now.
    12/11/2003 02:47:15 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 PM  

  • My new boss told me that my worth as a human being was less than $24,000 a year. He wasn't kidding. Merry fucking Christmas/Happy Fucking Hanukkah/Cheerful Fucking Kwanzaa
    12/11/2003 10:18:03 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 PM  

  • Cheerful Kwanzaa. hahahahaha
    Couch is foony.
    12/12/2003 01:31:18 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home