Shoulda Said

Monday, June 30, 2003

New York, New York

I don't really know how to begin a post about an entire weekend. I had a hard time getting around to ever posting about Chicago back in April, and when I finally did post, it didn't do it justice. I'll just try to sum it up:

Thursday:
I arrived. Went to dinner with Dan and his parents. Experienced the Ridge, a local diner, a little later that night.

Friday:
Guster day! We didn't do much during the day except get lunch with a few of Dan's friends, but around 4, we headed out to the Guster concert. Good show, and it was free. The only downsides being that it was hot out and the set was short, but free outweighs all, as I will mention again later. Here's the set list, in case anyone but me is interested:
Barrel of a Gun, I Spy, Amsterdam, Happier, Airport Song, Ramona, (Nothing But) Flowers (Talking Heads cover), Homecoming King, Demons, Fa Fa, and Keep it Together for an encore.
I'd usually post a review, but it was a short show and I've got other stuff to cover. The new album is amazing, you should all go buy it. We were too wiped to do anything else after this, plus we had a big day ahead of us, so we crashed early.

Saturday:
Jossalyn Day! Jossie came over to Dan's, and we went to The Bronx Zoo. I love zoos. We were kicked out by a disgruntled zoo employee around 5:45 (the zoo closes at 5:30) and we headed to the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre. We caught the first show, which was pretty decent longform improv with some group named Respectamundo or something with Respect in the title. They threw in a few too many dirty and/or offensive jokes for my tastes. We decided to stick around for the second show, by a group called Mother, and that was much better. It was a variation of longform I've never seen before where the actors portray the same character throughout the scenes. Very interesting. For their second half, they improvised scenes based around music the audience brings in. Again, very good and interesting. After that, we headed back and said a tearful goodbye to Jossalyn, minus the tears because big boys don't cry, and girls only cry if it's their party and they want to.

Sunday:
The day was pretty much a bust. Unless I am forgetting something major, Dan and I just bummed around for a while until we went out to dinner with his parents. After that, we headed to the UCB Theatre again for more improv. It was a free show called Assscat or something like that. It was like an all-star team composed of members of Second City, UCB, other UCB groups, and even celebrity guests. The celebrity guests this week were one of the writers for The Onion and none other than SNL's Rachel Dratch! We had to wait in line for around an hour for standby tickets to sit on the floor, but it was totally worth it (see my previous comment about how good "free" is). The show was incredible, and I left wanting to do long form improv really really bad.

Monday:
Breakfast. Drive home. That's it.

Good weekend. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks goes out to Dan and his fellow Hodoses for allowing me to stay with them and whatnot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home