Shoulda Said

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Random Phrases and their Foreign Translations

When I get really bored, I like to play around with online translation software. Here's a list of some random phrases and their foreign translations, their re-translations into English, as well as their ranking in terms of sheer funniness:

"Alas, I seem to have forgotten the pickled herrings."
In Dutch: "Helaas schijn ik om de pickled herrings te hebben vergeten."
Back into English: "Unfortunately I appear round the pickled herrings to have forgotten."
Grade: C. This is only good for a cheap laugh. The concept of remembering exactly where you forgot something is slightly amusing.

"Would you believe me if I told you that I can juggle three live chickens?"
In Italian: "Lei me crederebbe se l'ho detto che posso fare giochi di prestigio tre polli vivi?"
Back into English: "She would believe me if I said it that I can do games of prestige three alive chickens."
Grade: B+. That's right, I said it. I can do games of prestige. Take THAT, unnamed She.

"There is absolutely no way I would be able to contain that much seasoned pork."
In German: "Es gibt unbedingt keinen Weg den ich da? viel erfahrenes Schweinefleisch hatte enthalten kennen. "
Back into English: "It gives unconditionally no way that I that much learned pork can would have contained."
Grade: D. Pork can't learn, or it wouldn't be so tasty and easy to turn into bacon.

"My neural passageways consist of a substance that resembles lime gelatin."
In Spanish: "Mis corredores neurales se componen de una substancia que se parece a la gelatina de cal."
Back into English: "My running neurales are composed of a substance that seems to the gelatin of lime"
Grade: B. I don't know what a neurale is, but it seems humorous. I am unsettled by the lack of closure in this sentence. What does it seem to the gelatin of lime?!

"Wouldn't you know it, but I just came down with a serious and quite chronic case of fear of strangers!"
In French: "Ferait vous ne le savez pas, mais je viens d'a attrapé un cas sérieux et tout à fait chronique de crainte d'étranger!"
Back into English: "Would do you do not know it, but I have just caught a serious and completely chronic case of fear of foreigner!"
Grade: A+! Leave it to the French to be afraid of a wussy hair band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home