Shoulda Said

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

The All-Powerful Entrance Granter

So one of my main responsibilities here at work (and it's sad that this is one of the main ones) is letting people into the building. There's a magnetic lock that prohibits anyone from getting in unless we buzz them. This makes you feel a whole lot more important than you really are, even though we buzz in just about everyone without asking any questions. In reality, I could let in a person with a bomb due to my lack of attention, but I doubt that will happen the same way I doubt the fact that my inattention will lead to me letting in the Candy Fairy who delivers magical treats to all the children of the world.
One of the more entertaining points of my day is watching people try to get in the building, though. The magnetic lock is only on one door, and there are four doors total, so it's like a game of Whack-A-Mole every time someone comes to the door. We buzz, they pull the wrong door, we point to the right door, they pull a different wrong one, we let go of the buzzer, they pull the right door which doesn't open, we point at that door again and hold the buzzer, they pull on the other wrong door, we buzz in rhythm, they give us a dirty look, we eventually go and open the door for them. It's a fun little game, one that I'm sure you'll all jealous of not being able to play.

6 Comments:

  • haha whack-a-mole. You know what else would be fun to see? Human skee ball. The logistics of that are entertainingly mind-boggling.
    12/16/2003 05:27:42 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM  

  • I totally understand your pleasure of watching people try to get in the door of your office. I too have the all important job of door buzzer.I find it amusing that although we only have two doors, people ALWAYS try to open the wrong door. It never fails. And our doors don't have windows, but they have these really decorative door knobs on them, so I get to watch the door knob spin round and round as people tug and pull and try to get in before I finally get up from my desk and let them in. It never ceases to amuse.
    12/17/2003 09:43:29 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM  

  • Is it sad that because I work in the Amusement Park industry I know the guy who invented Whack a Mole? Bob's Space Racers are awesome (the company) and who else gives food at tradeshow move in and sends the office fresh fruit of Christmas. I am such a nerd.
    12/18/2003 09:39:32 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM  

  • Agreed.
    12/18/2003 09:52:21 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

  • I will have to hold back on my comments. They are so full of uselessness...
    12/18/2003 10:27:05 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

  • No, no, no. On the contrary. My WEBSITE is full of uselessness. All comments regarding the abovementioned uselessness are useful in the effort of aiding the useless cause. therefore, they are all appreciated.
    12/18/2003 07:00:39 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home