Shoulda Said

Monday, March 13, 2006

Do you love breathing? I sure do!

Sorry if this blog is becoming my MySpace base of operations.

I received this bulletin today from someone I went to high school with who is, let's be honest here, an incredibly dim bulb.

The white man said, "Colored people are not allowed here."

The black man turned around and stood up. He then said:

"Listen sir....when I was born I was BLACK, "
"When I grew up I was BLACK, "
"When I'm sick I'm BLACK, "
"When I go in the sun I'm BLACK, "
"When I'm cold I'm BLACK, "
"When I die I'll be BLACK."
"But you sir."
"When you're born you're pink, "
"When you grow up you're white, "
"When you're sick, you're green, "
"When you go in the sun you turn red, "
"When you're cold you turn blue, "
"And when you die you turn purple."
"And you have the nerve to call me colored?"

The black man then sat back down and the white man walked away....

Pass it on if you hate racism


Now come on. On top of the absurd storytelling devices employed in this (who are these men? why do we care about them? why do they need to use so many quotation marks? why does the black man know so much about the various skin hues of the white man?), what kind of stupid chain letter-y bullshit is this? Isn't sending one of these asking people if they hate racism akin to sending one that asks if people hate wholesale puppy slaughter and neo-Nazi airplane pilots? I mean, certain things aren't really liked by anyone (or mostly anyone, I'm sure there are some puppy skewerers out there who really dig on the concept of following their dream on a larger scale). You're not really making a stand against something all that popular. You aren't saying "pass this on if you hate that pompous windbag, the Pope." I'm with you, I'm not keen on racism either. However, that's one of those personal distastes that I keep to myself, for fear of coming across as an idiot, just like I'd never mention it if I was really a fan of my heart pumping blood throughout my body, or not being poverty-stricken. You don't need to say everything that comes to your mind. I'm sure we'd all be better off if you didn't.

3 Comments:

  • I read a poem that was essentially the same thing (by the "Nigerian Shakespeare" who was pretty anonymous) about the same thing.

    It really makes you think.

    By Blogger Tyler, at 2:34 PM  

  • You know, I think that the "Nigerian Shakespeare" is secretly New York. That girl is a poet!

    By Blogger Steve, at 2:36 PM  

  • She's also an "inspiring actress."

    By Blogger Tyler, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home