Shoulda Said

Friday, July 11, 2003

A Most Pleasant Surprise

I went to go see Pirates of the Caribbean last night. I wasn't expecting much, and actually thought from the previews that it looked pretty stupid. However, I was bored at work yesterday and read some reviews, and they all said that the movie was a lot of fun and Johnny Depp was incredible, so I gave it a shot.


Dear God.

That was one of the most awesome movies I've seen at the theater in a long time. It's strange, not so long ago I was lamenting the death of the "adventure" film. They just don't make movies like they did in the 70s and 80s, full of heroes and villains and love stories and sword fights and all that. Sure, they've attempted the formula, but can you think of anything from the 90s that wasn't really just a suspense film with a big budget for special effects? I'm talking the glory days that peaked around the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies. Those were adventure flicks. This movie gave me a nostalgic feeling of watching those movies as a kid.
The SFX in this movie were incredible. The first time you see a pirate turn into a skeleton under the full moon, you have to smile, because it's seamless. It looks fantastic. Sure, they might overuse this, but it NEEDS to be overused, it's that good of an effect.
And now, on to Johnny Depp. I have to admit, I haven't seen much of his work, but what I have seen, I have really liked. He was perfect in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and that's all that matters. He is equally righteous as Jack Sparrow in this movie. He's the most bizarre, hysterical, and intense pirate I have ever seen, all at the same time. It's like Johnny is in a league of his own in this movie. Not that the other characters are bad, and Keira Knightley is RIDICULOUSLY hot, but Depp really steals the show. He's perfect for the role.
I don't know what else to write except that you should drop whatever you are holding (unless it's a hot iron or a baby) and go see this movie right now. I'm not sure if it was just going into it with such low expectations or that the film really was that awesome, but it's definitely worth your time. In my opinion, this is the best summer blockbuster to come out since I can remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home