Shoulda Said

Friday, January 30, 2004

Top Ten of 2003 (pt. 2)

Here, as promised, are my top ten favorite movies of 2003:

1.) Return of the King - No brainer. Terrific closing chapter to a terrific trilogy.
2.) Pirates of the Caribbean - Johnny Depp's best role, better than Hunter S. Thompson in my book. My second favorite movie of the year, just edging out:
3.) Lost in Translation - Bill Murray's best role ever. An awesome movie.
4.) X2 - I love the X-Men. I can't wait for X3: The Mighty X-Men, or whatever they decide to call it.
5.) Kill Bill Vol. 1 - No character has ever kicked as much ass as the Bride as far as I'm concerned.
6.) Big Fish - Tim Burton made a masterpiece.
7.) Elf - Will Ferrell rules.
8.) Bubba Ho-Tep - Elvis and JFK fighting a mummy. As good as it sounds.
9.) Finding Nemo - I have a soft spot in my heart for all things Pixar.
10.) Bend It Like Beckham - Crazy Brits.

Honorable Mentions:
21 Grams - Very interesting. Just not really worth the hype.
Bad Santa - This was much funnier than the trailers led you to believe.
Melvin Goes to Dinner - Bob Odenkirk directed this. Very interesting.
Spellbound - Harry is awesome.
The Station Agent - Quirky!

Honorable Mentions I Didn't See, but Think I Would Like:
American Splendor
Dirty Pretty Things
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Swimming Pool
Les Triplettes de Belleville

Again, I'm pretty sure I forgot some. Let me know if there are any glaring omissions.

3 Comments:

  • I wish I would have seen half of those movies!
    01/30/2004 12:14:33 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

  • You know, Elizabeth, there are a lot of movies I want to see in 2004, and I will be here for half the year, and we ARE neighbors now...
    01/30/2004 02:22:40 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

  • I just rented "Swimming Pool" and found it to be a bit underwhelming. There's a lot of topless sex though, a little bit of subtitles, and some middle aged woman toplessness. And a plot twist, or mystery or "what the hell was that all about?" ending. If you watch it and understand it maybe you could clue me in.
    I also just rented "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" if you like Johnny Depp you'll like the movie. He is awesome, as usual.
    01/31/2004 11:05:08 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home