Shoulda Said

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Being employed is not all it's cracked up to be. I want to impart this little snippet upon all of my friend's desperately seeking jobs. Sure, you will have money to pay for things. Sure, you don't have to sit at home all day doing nothing. However, you have to deal with fire-breathing hellspawn like my boss. This is the biggest detractor, as far as I can tell, of my current job. She's one of those people who, regardless of how well things are going, needs to find something to be miserable about. I came in at noon today, because I'm staying until eight tonight, and she came in around 1:30, and here's a run down of what she has yelled at me about so far, followed by how she said it (let me remind you all before you begin that I work at the religious school at a synagogue...you wouldn't expect much hassle there, would you?):

- handing her two pieces of mail separately, and not in one pile ("You're going to drive me to drink if you hand me all my mail separately")
- playing my music too loud, even though it's at the same volume it's been since I started at work here in May ("That is not the kind of thing we want people to hear when they first come through the door")
- the copier breaking ("I hope you've already called to fix it and told them it's an emergency, because you need to use that copier")
- asking her a question about a mailing she wants me to put together ("Do you mind? Can't you see I'm checking my e-mail?!")
- finishing all my work in a timely manner and then checking my e-mail ("If we are't finding enough things to keep you busy, let us know, so we can come up with more projects.")
- not getting someone's name on an unimportant phone number ("I think we need to teach you something about answering the phone correctly.")
- doing something right yesterday (seriously) ("If you could only keep up that pace all the time, I wouldn't have to worry about you getting behind.")

Ahh, yes. This is why I love coming into work in the mornings. The one thing it is instilling in me is a willingness to take just about any job I can get in Chicago, as they all have to be better than this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home