Shoulda Said

Saturday, October 18, 2003

What the hell was up with Dennis the Menace? Let's break down just how many ways that this kid was a fuckup.

1.) the slingshot - Why did the creator of this strip think that simply carrying a slingshot around made you a menace? It's not like he ever shot anything. If he did, a la Bart Simpson, I would understand the nickname. As it was, he just kept that baby locked up. He just liked the sensation of cylindrical wood pressed up against his ass, I guess.

2.) the cow lick/dirt - There seems to be some kind of rumor passed around the comic strip industry that little boys like nothing better than to walk around dirty and dishevelled. Pigpen, Dennis, that stupid fucking Marvin kid, they all enjoy getting drawn with hatchmarks to represent facial dust. The only kids that seem to stay clean are the Family Circus kids, and I GUARANTEE they all grow up to be gay. Did you ever notice the way Billy used to check out Jeffy's package sometimes? And P.J. used to prance around with his mom's clothes. The only kid there who acted manly at all was Dotty. Anyway, I think the dishevelled/dirty thing is true for ALL kids, not just the badass little boys out there. No kid likes to bathe, because it's time out from playing. That doesn't make them menacing.

3.) those red overalls - Come on.

4.) the nickname - Really, ASIDES from the above-mentioned things, what did Dennis do that was so menacing? When I think "menace", I think South Central L.A. gang members who, you know, shoot people and rob places. At least, that's what I got from Menace II Society. All Dennis does is play with a frog and annoy his crotchety old neighbor. Don't most kids do that? I mean, just because Mr. Wilson was pissy doesn't mean that Dennis was worse than any other kid out there. It was just a matter of perspective.

Well, I think I've exhausted the reasons I personally hate Dennis the Menace, but I'm sure more of you out there have reasons. Let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home