Shoulda Said

Thursday, February 12, 2004

I Spoke Too Soon

Sorry concert post. You've got to go.

One of the joys of working in this place is that I'm facing the lobby on the same floor as the nursery school and the summer camp, and about once a month, regardless of what time of the year it is, there are special guests. Once, it was a firefighter, one time it was a police man. Those are to be expected, and aren't really all that exciting. However, every once in a while, you get a real treat.
Two months ago, the special guest was a magician. A piss-poor magician who had obviously taught himself magic with the aid of a toy store magic kit. We all sat back in my office, secure that the glass in our windows is about 90% soundproof, and tore into that lameass entertainer.
Today, there's a puppet show going on, and while the script itself seems to be lacking substance (it IS designed for nursery school kids), the sound of a roomful of young children screaming at jokes designed for them is pretty amusing. It's like being on a roller coaster full of screaming youth, without the height restriction.
The best/most terrifying one, by far, was a clown that came in about six months ago. The scary part was, she didn't START as a clown. She was a regular woman who gradually got dressed up as a clown in front of the children. Putting all sickening voyeuristic overtones aside, this show was horrifying because it was like this woman was being consumed slowly by the disembodied spirit of an evil clown. We all just watched helplessly as this poor lady became possessed by the soul of Dottie. I'll never think of clowns the same way again.

7 Comments:

  • Whats your last name, if you don't mind me askin?
    02/12/2004 07:12:42 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 PM  

  • Jacobs. Is yours really Fabulous?
    02/12/2004 08:18:19 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 PM  

  • Hmm, what do you think?
    02/12/2004 10:29:00 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

  • I'm going to go with no, although that would be pretty cool.
    02/13/2004 07:49:43 AM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

  • Yeah, Fabulous is only my married name. Heh.

    (I asked for your last name b/c I was gonna friendster you, if you were on it. Turns out there's a LOT of Steve Jacobs up in that piece. Stumped.)
    02/13/2004 12:57:06 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

  • I never really got into that. I'm on it, but I forgot my login and all that jazz.
    02/13/2004 01:03:04 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

  • I was just lookin' for an excuse to check you out. ;)
    02/13/2004 01:20:50 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home