Shoulda Said

Monday, March 20, 2006

Let My People Go

So I commented about this on my Myspace blog (Again with the Myspace?! For crying out loud!), but I was recently invited to be friends with Let My People Go Dot Com, the self-appointed "mother of all Jewish social events," or some such nonsense.

Really, above all else, I think I take umbrage with the fact that there are hundreds (thousands?) of pampered Jews out there who believe that their poor lot in the dating scene is equivalent to hundreds of years of slavery and oppression in the desert. I'm not above making a good oppression joke, but this seems less like a joke, and more like a startling case of narcissism. I find it remarkable that that many people in so many cities are that convinced they are going to die alone. I haven't been on a date in months, and you don't see me wailing on about unshackling myself from the tyranny of singledom.

Also, this is a line from their website:
"LetMyPeopleGo.com: Taking the cheesiness out of Jewish Singles Events since 1995!"

Right? Because there's nothing cheesy about hosting an annual ball (on Christmas...gag) with the intent of getting needy Jewish people together? As far as causes go, that's about as noble as they get.

In case you couldn't tell, I won't be signing up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home