Shoulda Said

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

On a Whim

I have nothing else to do so far today, so I'm going to look up words associated with things I can see on a thesaurus webpage and see if they have weird synonyms. Sound like a blast? It's not. But it's better than nothing. Here we go!

catalog: synonym - guiding light

Isn't that a soap opera? Is it a catalog full of TV shows? I'm confused.

kosher: synonym - Christian

...

letter: synonym - poison-pen

A letter is something that gets sent to your house, usually on paper. It is not, contrary to popular belief, an awesome-sounding spy weapon.

marker: synonym - scepter

I spent so much time helping kings get their markers back from the Bowser kids in Super Mario Brothers 3, it's not even funny.

office: synonym - salt mines

Other undesirable workplaces, such as a sewage plant or a trash dump, do not appear on the list. I think someone at Roget's was a little bitter about a previous occupation.

scarf: synonym - raven

One's a piece of clothing. One is a bird. Am I missing something?

staple: synonym - gravamen

I had to look this one up. It means "the part of a charge or an accusation that weighs most substantially against the accused." Now, I know, this is probably a synonym for a different definition of staple, but still. I don't have any idea how a word used to describe foods you should eat every day could possibly be associated with a court room.

6 Comments:

  • hi steve! guess where i am today!
    01/06/2004 12:32:50 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • If this is Jena, I BET you're at work.

    If this is the guy from 1984, I bet you're in room 101.
    01/06/2004 12:49:08 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • you're so smart. i am not. i don't know how to use the phone, so i couldn't call your cell to say hi. we should hang out soon. but please don't ask me to call you about that.
    01/06/2004 12:52:48 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • I can't use my cell at work. I'll e-mail you my work number.
    01/06/2004 01:02:59 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • Because i'm both bored, as well as curious...i looked around and figured out how you came up with raven as a synonym for scarf. raven (rhymes with gavin) is the root of the word ravenous...ravenous means to be extremely hungry...one of the meanings of scarf is to devour food. "he just scarfed that burger." so see...it's not the bird, it's the verb.

    P.S. I am one of those 4 girls who invaded dan's blog a while back and happened across yours from his...my roommate helen posted a comment to you a while back as well. And yes, i am fully aware I'm odd :Þ
    01/11/2004 07:52:49 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 PM  

  • I knew that was why it was in there. I was just trying to fit the word "raven" into that post somehow, to see if I could. But thanks for the tip anyway :)
    01/11/2004 07:55:41 PM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home