Shoulda Said

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Karaoke Junkie

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it yet on this site (lord knows I have on every other site that has even a smidgen of my personal information on it), but I think I might actually be addicted to karaoke. I'm not a great singer (I'd rank myself, at best, a 5 out of 10 on the talent scale), and I don't really have any great karaoke moves or anything (I would actually like to see some great karaoke moves, since I'm not really sure what this means). There's just something about getting up and singing a song in a completely unabashed manner that appeals to me. There are so few opportunities to do this, and even less than that now that I no longer have a car. I'm not even ever really that in to the songs I sing (I pick my songs based on novelty and not desire to sing them...however, I have discussed starting an indie rock karaoke bar with friends, and we all think it would be awesome). I just...enjoy it. I find it funny when people insist upon getting drunk before going on stage because I'm really the opposite. I enjoy the act of singing, and tend to get more impatient at karaoke bars the drunker I get. The best nights have always ended in a state of drunkenness, but I think this is more of a coincidental rather than a cause and effect relationship.

Anyway, I have no real point here. It's just out there now. If you read this, and ever want to go to karaoke any night of the week, I'm your man.

Okay, and for kicks, here is a list of my top five favorite songs to do at karaoke, and my top five songs I want to do.

Top 5 To Do:
5. Seal - Kiss From a Rose
4. Aladdin soundtrack - A Whole New World
3. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
2. Linda Rondstadt and Aaron Neville - Don't Know Much
1. George Michael - Careless Whispers

Top 5 I Want To Do:
5. Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes
4. Journey - Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
3. Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
2. Toto - Africa
1. A whole bunch of people - We Are The World (this would take some sort of coordination, which is sadly lacking at karaoke bars)

So there it is. If you can think of other songs that would be fun to do, please let me know. I'm always looking.

8 Comments:

  • Don't forget that you do a wonderful rendition of "In Your Eyes"! As far as karaoke moves go, did you ever see that movie with Elliott from ET and a blonde girl, it was on TBS for a while, the title had Lucy in it, anyways, Elliott does karaoke at the end of the movie and he's got some good moves. Alright.

    By Blogger Hot Pocket, at 1:23 PM  

  • Re: karaoke moves, I have witnessed the following from two ex-coworkers, both on the same night:

    1. The song: Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (I don't know the real title but you know the one) by WHAM.
    The moves: Coworker 1 came out in a Choose Life t-shirt, which he ripped off half way through the song and ended with a 1980s inspired breakdance.

    2. The song: Careless Whispers.
    The moves: Coworker 2 brought a plastic toy saxophone and improved the musical interlude on a twelve inch, red and blue "instrument" which I'm pretty sure had a duck-inspired mouthpiece.

    This took place at a Trader Joes, which I'm believe is close to where you live. They have karaoke all the time. Do it up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 PM  

  • Sarah -
    Trader Todd's. If Trader Joe's had karaoke, no one would ever check out.

    I don't usually go to Trader Todd's, at least on the weekends, because it's always really crowded, and I can only handle hearing Bon Jovi so many times in one night.

    Also, I saw someone propose to their girlfriend at Trader Todd's once. It was lacking in all tact and decency.

    By Blogger Steve, at 2:04 PM  

  • I am a champion of Bust A Move. Also, anything by Frank Sinatra is good. Or Neil Diamond.

    Do you live in Chicago? I no longer live there (sigh.), but if you do, I wonder if they still have live band Karaoke at that place in Wicker Park (across from Mod and Penny's on Damen) that has the outdoor seating in the summer. You know the place. They used to have rock and roll karaoke with a live band on Friday nights a few years ago and it was the shit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:15 PM  

  • You bet. The Pontiac Cafe. Live band on Friday nights. It's a bit crowded, but always a good time.

    By Blogger Steve, at 8:26 PM  

  • "The Donut said...

    Don't forget that you do a wonderful rendition of "In Your Eyes"! As far as karaoke moves go, did you ever see that movie with Elliott from ET and a blonde girl, it was on TBS for a while, the title had Lucy in it, anyways, Elliott does karaoke at the end of the movie and he's got some good moves. Alright."

    It's "I'm With Lucy," just in case you want to check out that fab, sort-of-forgettable performance.

    Also, on Scrubs tonight, one of the characters broke out with "Don't Know Much".. QUALITY choice!!

    By Blogger Get Me an Entertainment Job, at 2:48 AM  

  • I just want to mention that I think Trader Todd's is perhaps one of the top five worst bars in the city. So I completely support your aversion to going there. But they do have karaoke. Thus, I mention it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 PM  

  • I'm a big fan of Live Band Karaoke friday nights at Pontiac Cafe.

    By Blogger Katy, at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home