Shoulda Said

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Second in a Series

So in the second of what I can only assume will be a long-running series of advice-requesting posts, I have another question about the validity of asking someone out on a date. This time, it's about service professionals.

Is it ever really appropriate to ask out your server/cocktail waitress/cashier/whatever? Is this not worth it, due to the sheer volume of people who must think about, and the smaller but still significant portion who follow through, on a near-daily basis? I mean, within one to five brief interactions, is it possible to stand out enough so that you will be the one she wants to see again after you've left your tip and gone?

And let's be honest here, I'm not naive enough to believe that part of the come-on act in the first place isn't just an attempt to get a bigger tip...I know this. There's always a certain element of monetary compensation when flirting occurs with waitstaff.

Feedback from people who have worked as service professionals would be especially helpful. Even more helpful if you were asked out a lot while you worked at said service position.

3 Comments:

  • I was a service professional, but I never got asked out, perhaps in part because I was a little "surly" [customer's words, not mine]. I'm in favor of asking out anyone you've got the balls to go for.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:22 PM  

  • I got asked out once when I was working at the Olive Garden. I ended up going on a date with the guy, but he turned out to be kind of a loser.

    By Blogger Not Margaret, at 9:29 AM  

  • My dad asked out my mom when she was a 22-year-old waitress. Thirty years later, it seems to have worked out pretty well.

    By Blogger Get Me an Entertainment Job, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home